Dear Friends of ForWords,
Earlier this week, you likely received our annual appeal in the mail. As part of our efforts to help provide access to higher education for underserved students, we are fundraising to bring 25 young men and women on a college visit of University of California at Merced and California State University at Fresno. We hope you join us in helping to make the college dream a reality.
As 2017 winds down, we’d like to take a moment to reflect on the incredible year we’ve had as an organization and the amazing work of our students these past twelve months. With your support, the young men and women who we have the great honor to serve have:
- Been invited by the Marin County Board of Supervisors to present their views on local topics at a Supervisors meeting in 2018
- Studied the civil rights movement and attended the annual Youth Speaks: Bringing the Noise for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at San Francisco’s Nourse Theater
- Published two new volumes of poetry
- Worked with Marin County Poet Laureate Rebecca Foust
- Learned printmaking techniques from Artist-in-Residence Sandival Torres
- Explored the themes of “where do we find home?” and “don’t judge a book by its cover” through art, story-telling, digital media and more
- Published personal memoirs and vignettes titled “My Life in America”
- Told their stories at our exciting 10th Anniversary Celebration, where Mary Jane Burke and Brian Copeland were special guests and honorees
- Read their own poems during a public reading at the Fairfax Library
In 2017 ForWords Literacy Lab received recognition from the US Congress, thanks to Representative Jared Huffman, for ten years of providing literacy programs to communities in need. We launched our first-ever Bridge to High School summer program, connecting new freshmen to ForWords student mentors. We also opened our very own dedicated office space at Montecito Shopping Center, where students from San Rafael High School and Davidson Middle School can readily access our services.
Thank you for helping us make this year one of our most memorable yet. We are so proud of our students and of all of their accomplishments. Together, we are making a difference in their lives, and in our community.
Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season.
Jeff Gough, President, Board of Directors
Gail Siegel, Executive Director
Do you shop on Amazon? Giving has never been easier! ForWords Literacy Lab is now proud to be a recipient of Amazon Smile donations. You can support our work every time you shop with no added cost to you. Simply visit https://smile.amazon.