ANNOUNCEMENT OF JOB OPENING: Director of Youth Education
ForWords Literacy Lab is recruiting an outstanding educator/leader for its Youth Programs.
The Director of Youth Education is a 40-hour-per-week contracted position responsible for student engagement in ForWords Literacy Lab (FWLL) programs. FWLL provides literacy development programs for the under-served population of first generation students in the Bay Area.
The Director works with the Executive Director and staff in achieving the goals, objectives, long range-plans and mission of FWLL.* FWLL uses a project based approach
to curriculum, focusing on communication literacy (reading, writing, and speaking) digital and visual arts, drama/theatre, culture, history, and community. Our students publish their writing, create artwork, participate in spoken word events, and develop an awareness of social justice issues. In addition, our students learn leadership and advocacy skills.
This is a salaried position with health benefits.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves as lead teacher in each of the ForWords’ programs during the school year and summer; approximately 25 hours per week providing direct contact with students; 15 hours planning, meeting, and fulfilling administrative tasks.
- Is responsible for supervising the Youth Team, Interns, Volunteers and Artists-In-Residence, and working directly with our students.
- Is FWLL’s primary liaison with the Latino/a community, faith, social service and other local organizations and families; develops, sustains, and strengthens relationships with the community through ongoing outreach efforts, conveying the FWLL’s programs and philosophy.
- Recruits middle school and high school youth to FWLL programs.
- Advises the Board on community-relations matters.
- Assists the Executive Director with program and curriculum development.
- Coordinates programs with schools at the direction of the Executive Director.
- Participates in ongoing professional development.
- Serves on the FWLL Board Education Committee.
- Develops program and student evaluation systems with Executive Director.
- Dynamic leader, able to inspire and support students.
- Fluent in Spanish and English.
- Teaching credential and experience preferred and/or significant experience working in the classroom and with community youth groups.
- Commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Ability to coach, manage, and develop staff; set and achieve strategic objectives.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
To Apply: send your current resume to email@example.com or contact Gail Siegel, Executive Director at 415-785-7899. The position is open immediately.
* For more information about FWLL, including our mission, history, and student accomplishments, please visit ForWords.org.